Thursday, July 2, 2015

Harbinger Down On Sale

Title : Harbinger Down
Category: Movies

Item Page Download URL : Download Movie
Rating : 3.1
Buyer Review : 84









Review :
Try being frozen for 30 years and see how sociable you'd feel?
A downed Russian spacecraft is discovered trapped in the ice by a fishing boat, which just happens to be carrying a team of scientists who soon discover the frightening reality that something from outer space must've hitched a ride.

"Harbinger Down" is a sort of throw-back sci-fi/thriller reminiscent (albeit on a more modest scale) of iconic movies like "Alien" and "John Carpenter's The Thing", heck Lance Henriksen (speaking of iconic) even takes a unique spin on a quote from "Jaws" at one point when he says "we need a bigger bucket". The plot itself reminds me of another horror film from 1989 titled "leviathan" except this movie has something going for it that one didn't... it wasn't made in the 80's which not only means we're spared ridiculous hairdo's and synth music but I also think that these days, studios don't feel obliged to hand audiences b-grade production values due to a lack of budget. One of the things I really liked about this film (besides the creature FX)...
It was okay (Spoilers in review)
Overall, I enjoyed this film. The creature effects were pretty neat, though I kind of got a Little Shop of Horrors vibe from some of it - which kind of took away from the scary factor.

I highly anticipated this film as I am an enormous fan of The Thing, but there was just something missing with this movie. The atmosphere was off. The cinematography was very odd and there were several different styles happening at once - this was distracting. It popped between the jumpy, eccentric movements you'd find in Evil Dead, found footage film, and the typical style you'd see in a horror movie. The acting performance of the Professor really irritated me; he was really overdoing it and just wasn't believable. The rest of the cast did rather well, though I'm not an acting expert and this is just my opinion.

Spoilers start here:

The main problem, I think, is they tried to emulate The Thing's atmosphere but did not make an isolation horror movie. I'm not going to...
We're Gonna Need A Bigger Bucket!
While I did enjoy this film I couldn't help thinking this has to be an unauthorized remake of (The Thing) only this time it takes place on a ship named The Harbinger.It was fun and I really liked the old school practical creature effects.Maybe it was just a huge homage.

(Lance Henriksen) as The Captain is always a joy to watch. Even at age 75 he can still kick butt.The fact that it was so much like The Thing (the original no less)doesn't mean it wasn't a good film because it's quite good, especially for the budget which I'm sure wasn't big.Although the production value was very good as well. But let's face it there will never be another film like John Carpenter's 1982 film, TheThing!

There was quite a nice amount of suspense and action.There was also a lot of creature effects and some nice gore.plus there is a twist that turns a really bad situation to an even worse situation. I would definately recommend this film to horrorSciFi lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment